There is nothing like having a senior photo session at the beach here on the beautiful CT Shoreline, and I’ve been lucky enough to do quite a few of them over the past few years. I’ve learned along the way that there are a handful of things you can do beforehand to ensure the best photo session possible. Here are some tips to help you get ready for your Senior session at the beach!
Pick a Beach Outfit You Feel Comfortable In
- First of all, focus on choosing the perfect outfit! Pick an outfit that you feel comfortable doing a variety of poses in: sitting, twirling, and having fun. Being comfy not only makes it more fun, but your confidence will shine through in your photos. On the flip-side, if you’re uncomfortable, you’ll most likely look tense.
- The natural tendency is to choose neutral colors, like white and khaki. But too much neutral tends to wash you out. Consider cream instead of white, and be sure to throw pops of color in there, like blues, greens, or even some red!
- Consider your shoes. Wear comfortable shoes, but plan on being barefoot once we get on the sand!
Things To Avoid
Some basic outfit no-no’s include:
- Wearing all white or all black. They are difficult to photograph and can make you look washed out. The exception to this rule is the classic white sundress with bare-feet!
- Busy patterns, big logos or T-shirts, and sweatshirts with images and/or text.
Think About Hair
- You can almost count on it being breezy at the beach, and this can add beautiful movement to your images.
- Be sure to bring a brush, and hairspray! This will help tame flyaways. Click HERE to read 5 things you should bring to your senior session.
Girls: Rock your session with a natural makeup look
Even if you’re the kind of girl who never wears makeup, the camera washes you out and makeup will simply enhance your natural beauty. It is an absolute MUST for your senior photos! For example, choosing neutral and pink tones with a pretty cheek highlight will look gorgeous. You can also bring along your favorite lip color, and make it a tiny bit bolder than you usually would. Most of all, choose a creamy lipstick or lip tint rather than a gloppy or shiny gloss which WILL get stuck to your lips as soon as that ocean breeze blows! Lastly, I always recommend getting your makeup professionally done…it will look polished and you’ll be camera-ready!
Relax and have fun!
My last and most important tip to get ready for your beach photo session at the beach, is to relax, and HAVE FUN! The beach is vast, a wide open place that often brings a feeling of freedom…it calls for some free-spirited fun. Therefore, whether you love to frolic in the sand like a kid on Christmas morning (me!), or you want to end your session wading in the ocean (ok, also me), the options are endless. Your senior session is meant to reflect you, so be yourself and have fun!
To get in touch with me about a session of your own, click below. I’d love to chat!
Linda Sobolewski Photography is based out of Old Saybrook, CT and serves the Connecticut shoreline and surrounding areas.