There is nothing like a family photoshoot at the beach here on the beautiful CT Shoreline, and I’ve been lucky enough to do quite a few of them over the past few years. I’ve learned along the way that there are a handful of things you can do beforehand to ensure the best photo session possible. Here are some tips to help you get ready for your next family beach photoshoot!
Choosing Outfits For The Beach
- Choose comfortable clothing. This goes for everybody, not just for the kids, but especially for the kids. You want outfits that allow for movement! It’s why those flow-y dresses look so good at the beach.
- The natural tendency is to choose neutral colors, like white and khaki. But too much neutral tends to wash you out. Consider cream instead of white, and be sure to throw pops of color in there, like blues, greens, or even some red!
- Consider your shoes. Wear comfortable shoes, but plan on being barefoot once we get on the sand!
Things To Avoid
Some basic outfit no-no’s include:
- Matching outfits. Complementing your children’s or your partner’s outfit is just fine, but being too coordinated can appear cheesy and dated.
- Busy patterns, big logos or T-shirts, and sweatshirts with images and/or text.
- Wearing all white or all black. They are difficult to photograph and can make you look washed out.
Think About Hair
You can almost count on it being breezy at the beach, and this can add beautiful movement to your images.
- Consider hairstyles that keep hair off your face. Top half up, braids, etc, are all ideas that may help keep the hair out of your eyes without pulling it totally back.
- Little girls look adorable with their hair tied back in pigtails or ponytails, or even just clipped off the face. Bring a few options, and let her pick!
- Consider bringing a hair tie just in case. (I know it’s not the best case scenario, but if the wind is SUPER strong that day, you’d probably prefer to have your hair back than whipping in your face.
Relax and have fun!
I know this is an obvious one, but probably is the most important. It may be stressful getting everybody ready and to the beach. But once you get there, take a deep breath and relax. Trust in your photographer, let it all go, and just have some fun. It’s ok and even preferred if your kids act a little rambunctious! Keep in mind that kids are always cute, no matter how they are acting. But stressed out parents? Not so much.
Whatever your kids are doing, have fun, play with them, hug them, laugh with them, and love them. Those will be your favorite photos from your session.
To get in touch with me about a session of your own, click below. I’d love to chat!
Linda Sobolewski is an on-location, natural-light, professional photographer specializing in seniors, baby, family & children photography.
Linda Sobolewski Photography is based out of Old Saybrook, CT and serves the Connecticut shoreline and surrounding areas.
Are you on Social Media? Check out the latest sessions on Instagram and Facebook.
Receive the latest promotions, mini-session announcements and news by subscribing to the email Newsletter.