One of the top questions I get asked after a client books is: “What should dad wear to a lifestyle newborn session?” Since this is a question I get so often, so I figured let’s talk about it in a blog post! When you book a lifestyle newborn session with me, I will send a style guide with lots of tips on what mom, baby, siblings, and yes, even what dad should wear.
So, what exactly should dad wear to a lifestyle newborn session?
Before I get into specifics, the first rule is dad should be comfortable. Lifestyle newborn photography sessions take place in the comfort of your family’s home, and take a more relaxed approach, so there is no need to dress up too fancy!
Dads should keep it as basic and simple as possible.
- Wear neutral colors, like greys, off-white, creams, tans or blues.
- Wear a light cotton t-shirt, a fitted henley or simple button down shirt.
- Wear jeans, or khaki pants.
- Go barefoot, or solid colored socks.
- No bright or bold colors!
- Avoid all black, or all white.
- Graphic tees, or shirts with logos, as these can be very distracting.
- No shorts please! Men photograph much nicer in pants. 🙂
Don’t forget that it will be warm in your home!
Babies get cold very easily, and a cold baby is an unhappy baby. So, I will have you crank that heat, especially if its winter. If dad gets warm easily, he may want to opt for something short sleeved.
A lot of times when I get to a newborn session, dads have several options out, and together we pick the best one. So, don’t worry dads, I got you covered!